Holy Name of Mary
In 1877, the Vicar Apostolic of the Colorado and Utah Territories, Bishop Joseph Machebeuf, established a parish in Del Norte to care for the entire San Juan area, from Ft. Garland in the east as far as Lake City, Silverton and Ouray in the west. In 1889, the parish and missions of Del Norte were placed in the hands of the Jesuit priests from Trinidad, part of the group that had been forced out of Naples during the Italian Revolution. It was during their tenure that the present Holy Name of Mary was built and consecrated by the Bishop N.C. Matz, of Denver, in 1899. It was the first consecrated church in Colorado. The Jesuits served until 1923, with up to six priests at a time caring for the many missions and stations of the parish.
From 1923 until 1969, the parish was cared for by a Spanish order, the Missionaries of the Holy Family. Then in 1969, Fr. Robert Blanpied was the first priest from the Diocese of Pueblo to be assigned to serve as pastor of Holy Name of Mary. In 1996, the parish became part of the San Juan Community. As part of a clustered community, the parish presently shares two priests with two other parishes and three missions.